Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sliding Doors

Has anyone seen that movie? I must have seen it when I was in middle school. I remember watching it on a plane ride home from my family vacation in Europe. It's a British film where a woman makes a decision. She decides to step out and just barely make the sliding door of the London Underground. It is then that her life splits. One life where she made the train and another life where she did not.

Through the whole movie her two different life realities become more and more different. From one simple choice: to step forward or wait for the next train.

Is life this way; that a simple choice can change so much? If a simple choice can change a life significantly... what a about a big choice? Like going on a Study Abroad program. Sometimes thinking about the implications of choices leaves me feeling paralyzed.

Some would say that we are bound by fate or God's will. If that's true, can I make a decision that goes against what is "suppose" to happen in my life?

Where are the directions for this thing? I need some, and I'm not talking crappy Ikea picture directions. I need some multi language explicit directions.

Oh, and does it matter that at the end of the movie her two different realities end up at the exact same place...cause I'm thinking: will mine?

3 comments:

scott said...

I've never seen that movie but the concept is something I think about a lot. I should see it maybe.

peter hafer said...

im not used to hearing you somewhat torn between options. no doubt you will figure out a good option either way.

Esthertainment said...

The ending is probably important.

yet, for life, maybe part of the 'living' of life is not knowing for sure the weight of our decisions and still making them...in the end, ALL will be Well.